Every year I try to make Pumpkin Soup (Minestrone di zucca), a recipe I found from “The Ultimate Italian Cookbook” by Carla Capalbo. It is a beautifully colored soup that is just perfect for an Autumn dinner. Hope you enjoy it!
- 1 lb piece of peeled pumpkin
- 1/4 cup butter (3/4 of a stick)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1-1/2 oz spaghetti, broken into small pieces
- 6 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Chop the piece of pumpkin into 1 inch cubes.
2. Heat the butter in a saucepan. Add the onion, and cook over moderate heat until it softens, 6-8 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin, and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
3. Add the stock or water, and cook until the pumpkin is soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
4. Puree the soup in a blender. Return it to the pan. Stir in the milk and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the soup back to a boil.
5. Stir the broken spaghetti into the soup. Cook until the pasta is done. Stir in the Parmesan and serve at once.